Meaning of responsible
Pronunciation: (ri-spon'su-bul), [key]
- answerable or accountable, as for something within one's power, control, or management (often fol. by to or for): He is responsible to the president for his decisions.
- involving accountability or responsibility: a responsible position.
- chargeable with being the author, cause, or occasion of something (usually fol. by for): Termites were responsible for the damage.
- having a capacity for moral decisions and therefore accountable; capable of rational thought or action: The defendant is not responsible for his actions.
- able to discharge obligations or pay debts.
- reliable or dependable, as in meeting debts, conducting business dealings, etc.
- (of a government, member of a government, government agency, or the like) answerable to or serving at the discretion of an elected legislature or the electorate.
- responsible (Thesaurus)