Meaning of river
Pronunciation: (riv'ur), [key]
- a natural stream of water of fairly large size flowing in a definite course or channel or series of diverging and converging channels.
- a similar stream of something other than water: a river of lava; a river of ice.
- any abundant stream or copious flow; outpouring: rivers of tears; rivers of words.
- (cap.)the constellation Eridanus.
- a vertical channel of white space resulting from the alignment in several lines of spaces between words.
- to betray; desert; mislead: to sell one's friends down the river.
- to be sent up the river for a bank robbery.
- to prison:to be sent up the river for a bank robbery.
- in prison:Thirty years up the river had made him a stranger to society.
Pronunciation: (rī'vur), [key]
- a person who rives.
- river (Thesaurus)