Meaning of royal
Pronunciation: (roi'ul), [key]
- of or pertaining to a king, queen, or other sovereign: royal power; a royal palace.
- descended from or related to a king or line of kings: a royal prince.
- noting or having the rank of a king or queen.
- established or chartered by or existing under the patronage of a sovereign: a royal society.
- (cap.) serving or subject to a king, queen, or other sovereign.
- proceeding from or performed by a sovereign: a royal warrant.
- appropriate to or befitting a sovereign; magnificent; stately: royal splendor.
- (usually cap.)in the service of the monarch or of the Commonwealth: Royal Marines; Royal Air Force.
- fine; excellent: in royal spirits.
- extreme or persistent; unmitigated: a royal nuisance; a royal pain.
- a sail set on a royal mast. See diag. under
- a royal person; member of the royalty.
- Usually,a member of England's royal family.
- a size of printing paper, 20 × 25 in. (51 × 64 cm).
- a size of writing paper, 19 × 24 in. (48 × 61 cm).
- any of various former coins, as the real or ryal.
- royal (Thesaurus)