Meaning of salient
Pronunciation: (sā'lē-unt, sāl'yunt), [key]
- prominent or conspicuous: salient traits.
- projecting or pointing outward: a salient angle.
- leaping or jumping: a salient animal.
- (of a beast) represented as leaping: a lion salient.
- a salient angle or part, as the central outward-projecting angle of a bastion or an outward projection in a battle line.
- a landform that extends out beyond its surroundings, as a spur projecting from the side of a mountain. Cf.(def. 4).
- salient (Thesaurus)