Meaning of scanner
Pronunciation: (skan'ur), [key]
- a person or thing that scans.
- optical scanner. See under
- any device for exposing an image on film, a sensitized plate, etc., by tracing light along a series of many closely spaced parallel lines.
- (in aerial photography) a device for estimating the ratio of aircraft speed to aircraft altitude.
- a photoelectric device for scanning a picture to determine automatically the density of the hue or value in each area for transmission by wire or radio or for preparation of color process printing plates.
- a computer-aided electronic system using photoelectric cells to separate copy, as color illustrations, into its primary colors, correct color copy, and produce a set of color separations ready for proofing or printing.
- a radio receiver, used esp. by police, firefighters, and the press, that continuously tunes to preselected frequencies, broadcasting any signal that it detects.
- a device for examining a body, organ, tissue, or other biologically active material. Cf.
- scanner (Thesaurus)