setting: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (set'ing), [key]
- the act of a person or thing that sets.
- the surroundings or environment of anything: The garden was a perfect setting for the house.
- the mounting in which a jewel is set.
- a group of all the articles, as of china, silver, or glass, required for setting a table or a single place at a table.
- the locale or period in which the action of a novel, play, film, etc., takes place: The setting of this story is Verona in the 15th century.
- Also calledthe scenery and other properties used in a dramatic performance.
- a piece of music composed for certain words.
- a piece of music composed for a particular medium, or arranged for other than the original medium.
- setting (Thesaurus)