Meaning of silk
Pronunciation: (silk), [key]
- the soft, lustrous fiber obtained as a filament from the cocoon of the silkworm.
- thread made from this fiber.
- cloth made from this fiber.
- a garment of this cloth.
- a gown of such material worn distinctively by a King's or Queen's Counsel at the English bar.
- the blouse and peaked cap, considered together, worn by a jockey or sulky driver in a race.
- a parachute, esp. one opened aloft.
- any fiber or filamentous matter resembling silk, as a filament produced by certain spiders, the thread of a mollusk, or the like.
- the hairlike styles on an ear of corn.
- a King's or Queen's Counsel.
- any barrister of high rank.
- to parachute from an aircraft; bail out.
- to become a Queen's or King's Counsel.
- made of silk.
- resembling silk; silky.
- of or pertaining to silk.
- (of corn) to be in the course of developing silk.
- silk (Thesaurus)