Meaning of skyrocket
Pronunciation: (skī'rok"it), [key]
- a rocket firework that ascends into the air and explodes at a height, usually in a brilliant array of sparks of one or more colors.
- Also calleda plant, Ipomopsis aggregata, of the phlox family, native to western North America, having finely divided leaves and clusters of red, trumpet-shaped flowers.
- an organized group cheer, usually led by a cheerleader, as at a football or basketball game, which begins with a hissing or whistling and ends with a shout.
- to rise or increase rapidly or suddenly, esp. to unexpected or unprecedented levels: Prices skyrocketed during the war.
- to cause to rise or increase rapidly and usually suddenly: Economic changes have skyrocketed prices.
- to thrust with sudden dramatic advancement; catapult: Talent has skyrocketed him to fame.
- skyrocket (Thesaurus)