Meaning of source
Pronunciation: (sôrs, sōrs), [key]
— n., v., sourced, sourcing.
- any thing or place from which something comes, arises, or is obtained; origin: Which foods are sources of calcium?
- the beginning or place of origin of a stream or river.
- a book, statement, person, etc., supplying information.
- the person or business making interest or dividend payments.
- a manufacturer or supplier.
- a natural spring or fountain.
- to give or trace the source for: The research paper was not accurately sourced. The statement was sourced to the Secretary of State.
- to find or acquire a source, esp. a supplier, for: Some of the components are now sourced in Hong Kong.
- to contract a manufacturer or supplier: Many large companies are now sourcing overseas.
- to seek information about or consider possible options, available personnel, or the like: a job recruiter who was merely sourcing.
- source (Thesaurus)