Meaning of spotlight
Pronunciation: (spot'līt"), [key]
— n., v., -light•ed -lit, -light•ing.
- a strong, focused light thrown upon a particular spot, as on a small area of a stage or in a television studio, for making some object, person, or group especially conspicuous.
- a lamp for producing such a light.
- a brilliant light with a focused beam, mounted on the side of an automobile and used for illuminating objects not within range of the headlights.
- the area of immediate or conspicuous public attention: Asia is in the spotlight now.
- to direct the beam of a spotlight upon; light with a spotlight.
- to make conspicuous; call attention to: Newspapers spotlighted the story for a week.
- to hunt (animals) using a spotlight in order to temporarily blind or confuse them.
- to hunt by using a spotlight.
- spotlight (Thesaurus)