Meaning of sprig
Pronunciation: (sprig), [key]
— n., v., sprigged, sprig•ging.
- a small spray of some plant with its leaves, flowers, etc.
- an ornament having the form of such a spray.
- a shoot, twig, or small branch.
- a scion, offspring, or heir of a family, class, etc.
- a youth or young fellow.
- a headless brad.
- a small peg for reinforcing the walls of a mold.
- a metal insert, used to chill certain portions of cast metal, that becomes an integral part of the finished casting.
- to mark or decorate (fabrics, pottery, etc.) with a design of sprigs.
- to fasten with brads.
- to propagate a plant, esp. grass, by planting individual stolons.
- to reinforce the walls of (a mold) with sprigs.
- to remove a sprig or sprigs from (a plant).
- sprig (Thesaurus)