Meaning of sterilize
Pronunciation: (ster'u-līz"), [key]
— -lized, -liz•ing.
- to destroy microorganisms in or on, usually by bringing to a high temperature with steam, dry heat, or boiling liquid.
- to destroy the ability of (a person or animal) to reproduce by removing the sex organs or inhibiting their functions.
- to make (land) barren or unproductive.
- to delete or remove anything comprising or damaging from: to sterilize a government document before releasing it to the press.
- to isolate or completely protect from unwanted, unauthorized, or unwholesome activities, attitudes, influences, etc.: You can't sterilize children against violence.
- sterilize (Thesaurus)