Meaning of subaltern
Pronunciation: (sub-ôl'turn or, esp. for 3, 6, sub'ul-tûrn"), [key]
- lower in rank; subordinate: a subaltern employee.
- noting a commissioned officer below the rank of captain.
- denoting the relation of one proposition to another when the first proposition is implied by the second but the second is not implied by the first.
- (in Aristotelian logic) denoting the relation of a particular proposition to a universal proposition having the same subject, predicate, and quality.
- of or pertaining to a proposition having either of these relations to another.
- a person who has a subordinate position.
- a commissioned officer below the rank of captain.
- a subaltern proposition.
- subaltern (Thesaurus)