surrender: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (su-ren'dur), [key]
- to yield (something) to the possession or power of another; deliver up possession of on demand or under duress: to surrender the fort to the enemy; to surrender the stolen goods to the police.
- to give (oneself&hasp;) up, as to the police.
- to give (oneself&hasp;) up to some influence, course, emotion, etc.: He surrendered himself to a life of hardship.
- to give up, abandon, or relinquish (comfort, hope, etc.).
- to yield or resign (an office, privilege, etc.) in favor of another.
- to give oneself up, as into the power of another; submit or yield.
- the act or an instance of surrendering.
- the voluntary abandonment of a life-insurance policy by the owner for any of its nonforfeiture values.
- the deed by which a legal surrendering is made.
- surrender (Thesaurus)