Meaning of swab
Pronunciation: (swob), [key]
— n., v., swabbed, swab•bing.
- a large mop used on shipboard for cleaning decks, living quarters, etc.
- a bit of sponge, cloth, cotton, or the like, sometimes fixed to a stick, for cleansing the mouth of a sick person or for applying medicaments, drying areas, etc.
- the material collected with a swab as a specimen for microscopic study.
- a brush or wad of absorbent material for cleaning the bore of a firearm.
- a sailor; swabby.
- a clumsy fellow.
- to clean with or as if with a swab: to swab the decks.
- to take up or apply, as moisture, with or as if with a swab: to swab soapy water from the decks.
- to pass over a surface: to swab a mop over the decks.
- swab (Thesaurus)