Meaning of syllabic
Pronunciation: (si-lab'ik), [key]
- of, pertaining to, or consisting of a syllable or syllables.
- pronounced with careful distinction of syllables.
- of, pertaining to, or noting poetry based on a specific number of syllables, as distinguished from poetry depending on stresses or quantities.
- (of chanting) having each syllable sung to one note only.
- (of a consonant) forming a syllable by itself, as the (n) in button(but&prim;n)or the (l) in bottle(bot&prim;l).
- (of a vowel) dominating the other sounds in a syllable; sonantal.
- a syllabic sound.
- syllabic (Thesaurus)