Meaning of symbolism
Pronunciation: (sim'bu-liz"um), [key]
- the practice of representing things by symbols, or of investing things with a symbolic meaning or character.
- a set or system of symbols.
- symbolic meaning or character.
- the principles and practice of symbolists in art or literature.
- (cap.) a movement of the late 19th century in French art and literature. Cf.(defs. 3b, 4b).
- the use of any of certain special figures or marks of identification to signify a religious message or divine being, as the cross for Christ and the Christian faith.
- symbolism (Thesaurus)