terminate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tûr'mu-nāt"), [key]
— v., -nat•ed, -nat•ing.
- to bring to an end; put an end to: to terminate a contract.
- to occur at or form the conclusion of: The countess's soliloquy terminates the play.
- to bound or limit spatially; form or be situated at the extremity of.
- to dismiss from a job; fire: to terminate employees during a recession.
- to end, conclude, or cease.
- (of a train, bus, or other public conveyance) to end a scheduled run at a certain place: This train terminates in New York.
- to come to an end (often fol. by at, in, or with).
- to issue or result (usually fol. by in).
- terminate (Thesaurus)