theory: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (thē'u-rē, thēr'ē), [key]
— pl. -ries.
- a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
- a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.
- a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
- the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.
- a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles.
- contemplation or speculation.
- guess or conjecture.
- theory (Thesaurus)