Meaning of tramontane
Pronunciation: (tru-mon'tān, tram'un-tān"), [key]
- being or situated beyond the mountains.
- beyond the Alps as viewed from Italy; transalpine.
- of, pertaining to, or coming from the other side of the mountains.
- foreign; barbarous.
- a person who lives beyond the mountains: formerly applied by the Italians to the peoples beyond the Alps, and by the latter to the Italians.
- a foreigner; outlander; barbarian.
- a violent, polar wind from the northwest that blows in southern France.
- tramontane (Thesaurus)