Meaning of transcendental
Pronunciation: (tran"sen-den'tl, -sun-), [key]
- transcendent, surpassing, or superior.
- being beyond ordinary or common experience, thought, or belief; supernatural.
- abstract or metaphysical.
- idealistic, lofty, or extravagant.
- beyond the contingent and accidental in human experience, but not beyond all human knowledge. Cf. transcendent (def. 4b).
- pertaining to certain theories, etc., explaining what is objective as the contribution of the mind.
- Kantianism.of, pertaining to, based upon, or concerned with a priori elements in experience, which condition human knowledge. Cf. transcendent (def. 4b).
- See transcendental number.
- categories that have universal application, as being, one, true, good.
- transcendental (Thesaurus)