transmit: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (trans-mit', tranz-), [key]
— v., -mit•ted, -mit•ting.
- to send or forward, as to a recipient or destination; dispatch; convey.
- to communicate, as information or news.
- to pass or spread (disease, infection, etc.) to another.
- to pass on (a genetic characteristic) from parent to offspring: The mother transmitted her red hair to her daughter.
- Glass transmits light.
- to cause (light, heat, sound, etc.) to pass through a medium.
- to convey or pass along (an impulse, force, motion, etc.).
- to permit (light, heat, etc.) to pass through:Glass transmits light.
- to emit (electromagnetic waves).
- to send a signal by wire, radio, or television waves.
- to pass on a right or obligation to heirs or descendants.
- transmit (Thesaurus)