Meaning of turf
Pronunciation: (tûrf), [key]
— n., pl. v. turfs, turves
- a layer of matted earth formed by grass and plant roots.
- peat, esp. as material for fuel.
- a block or piece of peat dug for fuel.
- Denver is her turf. When you talk literature you're getting into my turf.
- the neighborhood over which a street gang asserts its authority.
- a familiar area, as of residence or expertise:Denver is her turf. When you talk literature you're getting into my turf.
- a piece cut or torn from the surface of grassland; sod.
- the track over which horse races are run.
- the practice or sport of racing horses.
- to cover with turf or sod.
- to remove from a desirable office or position; expel; kick out: He was turfed from leadership of the group.
- turf (Thesaurus)