type: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tīp), [key]
— n., v., typed, typ•ing.
- a number of things or persons sharing a particular characteristic, or set of characteristics, that causes them to be regarded as a group, more or less precisely defined or designated; class; category: a criminal of the most vicious type.
- a thing or person regarded as a member of a class or category; kind; sort (usually fol. by of&hasp;): This is some type of mushroom.
- a person, regarded as reflecting or typifying a certain line of work, environment, etc.: a couple of civil service types.
- a thing or person that represents perfectly or in the best way a class or category; model: the very type of a headmaster.
- a headline in large type.
- a rectangular piece or block, now usually of metal, having on its upper surface a letter or character in relief.
- such pieces or blocks collectively.
- a similar piece in a typewriter or the like.
- such pieces collectively.
- a printed character or printed characters:a headline in large type.
- face (defs. 19b, c).
- a genus or species that most nearly exemplifies the essential characteristics of a higher group.
- the one or more specimens on which the description and naming of a species is based.
- dairy type.
- the inherited features of an animal or breed that are favorable for any given purpose:dairy type.
- a strain, breed, or variety of animal, or a single animal, belonging to a specific kind.
- Also calledthe general form of a word, expression, symbol, or the like in contrast to its particular instances:Cf.(def. 8). The type “and” in “red and white and blue” has two separate tokens.
- the pattern or model from which something is made.
- an image or figure produced by impressing or stamping, as the principal figure or device on either side of a coin or medal.
- a distinctive or characteristic mark or sign.
- a symbol of something in the future, as an Old Testament event serving as a prefiguration of a New Testament event.
- to write on a typewriter; typewrite or keyboard.
- to reproduce in type or in print.
- to ascertain the type of (a blood or tissue sample).
- to typecast.
- to be a type or symbol of; typify; symbolize; represent.
- to represent prophetically; foreshadow; prefigure.
- to typewrite.
- a suffix representing(prototype), esp. in names of photographic processes:Cf. ferrotype.
- type (Thesaurus)