Meaning of unicorn
Pronunciation: (y'ni-kôrn"), [key]
- a mythical creature resembling a horse, with a single horn in the center of its forehead: often symbolic of chastity or purity.
- a heraldic representation of this animal, in the form of a horse with a lion's tail and with a long, straight, and spirally twisted horn.
- (cap.)the constellation Monoceros.
- an animal mentioned in the Bible, Deut. 33:17: now believed by some to be a description of a wild ox or rhinoceros.
- a former gold coin of Scotland, first issued by James III in 1486, having an obverse bearing the figure of a unicorn.
- unicorn (Thesaurus)