Meaning of unity
Pronunciation: (y'ni-tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- the state of being one; oneness.
- a whole or totality as combining all its parts into one.
- the state or fact of being united or combined into one, as of the parts of a whole; unification.
- absence of diversity; unvaried or uniform character.
- oneness of mind, feeling, etc., as among a number of persons; concord, harmony, or agreement.
- the number one; a quantity regarded as one.
- identity (def. 9).
- (in literature and art) a relation of all the parts or elements of a work constituting a harmonious whole and producing a single general effect.
- one of the three principles of dramatic structurederived from Aristotelian aesthetics and formalized in the neoclassic canon in which a play is required to represent action as taking place in one dayas occurring within one placeand as having a single plot with a beginning, middle, and end
- unity (Thesaurus)