variety: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vu-rī'i-tē), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -ties,
- the state of being varied or diversified: to give variety to a diet.
- difference; discrepancy.
- a number of different types of things, esp. ones in the same general category: a large variety of fruits.
- a kind or sort.
- a different form, condition, or phase of something: varieties of pastry; a variety of economic reforms.
- a category within a species, based on some hereditary difference.
- a type of animal or plant produced by artificial selection.
- a stamp differing from others of the same issue through an accident other than an error of an artist or printer. Cf.(def. 8), (def. 5).
- Also calledentertainment of mixed character, consisting of a number of individual performances or acts, as of singing, dancing, or skits. Cf.(def. 1).
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a variety: a variety performer.
- variety (Thesaurus)