Meaning of velvet
Pronunciation: (vel'vit), [key]
- a fabric of silk, nylon, acetate, rayon, etc., sometimes having a cotton backing, with a thick, soft pile formed of loops of the warp thread either cut at the outer end or left uncut.
- something likened to the fabric velvet, as in softness or texture: the velvet of her touch; the velvet of the lawn.
- the soft, deciduous covering of a growing antler.
- a very pleasant, luxurious, desirable situation.
- money gained through gambling; winnings.
- clear gain or profit, esp. when more than anticipated.
- made of velvet or covered with velvet.
- resembling or suggesting velvet; smooth; soft; velvety: a velvet night; a cat's velvet fur.
- velvet (Thesaurus)