Meaning of Venetian
Pronunciation: (vu-nē'shun), [key]
- of or pertaining to Venice or its inhabitants.
- pertaining to or designating a style of painting developed in Venice principally during the 15th and 16th centuries, characterized chiefly by rich, often warm colors and the illusion of deep space.
- in or in imitation of the style typical of Venice: Venetian architecture.
- a native or inhabitant of Venice.
- (l.c.) See
- a tape or braid for supporting the slats of a venetian blind.
- Also called
- a wool or worsted fabric made in satin or twill weave and sometimes napped, used in the manufacture of lightweight coats, suits, skirts, and dresses.
- a cotton fabric constructed in satin or twill weave, used chiefly for linings.
- Venetian (Thesaurus)