Meaning of vesper
Pronunciation: (ves'pur), [key]
- (cap.) the evening star, esp. Venus; Hesper.
- Also calleda bell rung at evening.
- (sometimes cap.)
- a religious service in the late afternoon or the evening.
- the sixth of the seven canonical hours, or the service for it, occurring in the late afternoon or the evening.
- Rom. Cath. Ch.a part of the office to be said in the evening by those in major orders, frequently made a public ceremony in the afternoons or evenings of Sundays and holy days.
- of, pertaining to, appearing in, or proper to the evening.
- of or pertaining to vespers.
- vesper (Thesaurus)