vibrate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vī'brāt), [key]
— v., -brat•ed, -brat•ing.
- to move rhythmically and steadily to and fro, as a pendulum; oscillate.
- to move to and fro or up and down quickly and repeatedly; quiver; tremble.
- (of sounds) to produce or have a quivering or vibratory effect; resound.
- to thrill, as in emotional response.
- to move between alternatives or extremes; fluctuate; vacillate.
- to cause to move rhythmically and steadily to and fro, swing, or oscillate.
- to cause to move to and fro or up and down quickly and repeatedly; cause to quiver or tremble.
- to give forth or emit by, or as by, vibration.
- to measure or indicate by vibration or oscillation: a pendulum vibrating seconds.
- vibrate (Thesaurus)