Meaning of vow
Pronunciation: (vou), [key]
- a solemn promise, pledge, or personal commitment: marriage vows; a vow of secrecy.
- a solemn promise made to a deity or saint committing oneself to an act, service, or condition.
- a solemn or earnest declaration.
- to enter a religious order or house.
- to make a vow of; promise by a vow, as to God or a saint: to vow a crusade or a pilgrimage.
- to pledge or resolve solemnly to do, make, give, observe, etc.: They vowed revenge.
- to declare solemnly or earnestly; assert emphatically (often fol. by a clause as object): She vowed that she would take the matter to court.
- to dedicate or devote by a vow: to vow oneself to the service of God.
- to make a vow.
- to make a solemn or earnest declaration.
- vow (Thesaurus)