Meaning of Washington
Pronunciation: (wosh'ing-tun, wô'shing-), [key]
- 1856–1915, U.S. reformer, educator, author, and lecturer.
- 1732–99, U.S. general and political leader: 1st president of the U.S. 1789–97.
- (Martha Dandridge), 1732–1802, wife of George.
- Also calledthe capital of the United States, on the Potomac between Maryland and Virginia: coextensive with the District of Columbia. 637,651. Abbr.: Wash. See map under
- Also calleda state in the NW United States, on the Pacific coast. 3,553,231; 68,192 sq. mi. (176,615 sq. km). Cap.: Olympia. Abbr.: WA (for use with zip code), Wash.
- a city in SW Pennsylvania. 18,363.
- a city in SW Indiana. 11,325.
- a town in central Illinois. 10,364.
- a mountain in N New Hampshire, in the White Mountains: highest peak in the NE United States. 6293 ft. (1918 m).
- a lake in W Washington, near Seattle. 20 mi. (32 km) long.
- a male given name.
- Washington (Thesaurus)