Meaning of whiplash
Pronunciation: (hwip'lash", wip'-), [key]
- the lash of a whip.
- an abrupt snapping motion or change of direction resembling the lash of a whip.
- a neck injury caused by a sudden jerking backward, forward, or both, of the head: Whiplash resulted when their car was struck from behind.
- Also calleda connected series of reverse curves of more or less elliptical form, used as a major design motif in the Art Nouveau style.
- to beat, hit, throw, etc., with or as if with a whiplash.
- to affect adversely, as by a sudden change: new taxes whiplashing corporate earnings.
- whiplash (Thesaurus)