wring: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ring), [key]
— v., n. wrung, wring•ing,
- to twist forcibly: He wrung the chicken's neck.
- to twist and compress, or compress without twisting, in order to force out water or other liquid (often fol. by out): to wring clothes.
- to extract or expel by twisting or compression (usually fol. by out or from).
- to affect painfully by or as if by some contorting or compressing action.
- to clasp tightly with or without twisting: to wring one's hands in pain.
- to force (usually fol. by off) by twisting.
- to extract or get by forceful effort or means (often fol. by out).
- to perform the action of wringing something.
- to writhe, as in anguish.
- a wringing; forcible twist or squeeze.
- wring (Thesaurus)