yeoman: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (yō'mun), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -men,
- a petty officer in a navy, having chiefly clerical duties in the U.S. Navy.
- a farmer who cultivates his own land.
- one of a class of lesser freeholders, below the gentry, who cultivated their own land, early admitted in England to political rights.
- a servant, attendant, or subordinate official in a royal or other great household.
- a subordinate or assistant, as of a sheriff or other official or in a craft or trade.
- of, pertaining to, composed of, or characteristic of yeomen: the yeoman class.
- performed or rendered in a loyal, valiant, useful, or workmanlike manner, esp. in situations that involve a great deal of effort or labor: He did a yeoman job on the problem.
- yeoman (Thesaurus)