Le Vau, Louis
Le Vau, Louis lw? l? v? [key], 1612?70, French architect, involved in most of the important building projects for Louis XIV. He settled on the le Saint-Louis, where he built his own house and the Htels Lambert and Lauzun. In 1655, Le Vau succeeded Jacques Lemercier as architect for the Louvre, on which he collaborated with Claude Perrault. He designed the palace of Versailles, where he worked with Lebrun, creating a nucleus later completed by J. H. Mansart. Among his other designs are the chteau of Vaux-le-Vicomte; the Collge des Quatre Nations, Paris, now the Institut de France; and the Church of St. Sulpice, Paris, the facade of which was later built by Servandoni.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Architecture: Biographies