moral influence theoryof the atonement Sermons on Living Subjects (1872) and Forgiveness and Law (1874).
See the Life and Letters, ed. by his daughter, Mrs. M. B. Cheney (1880, 1903 repr. 1969) biographies by T. T. Munger (1899) and W. R. Adamson (1966) studies by A. J. W. Myers (1937), B. M. Cross (1938), and William A. Johnson (1963).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Protestant Christianity: Biographies
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-