Tarshish tär´shĭsh [key], in the Bible.
1 Eponym of a country distant from Palestine which cannot be accurately identified Cyprus, Spain, and Tarsus (S Asia Minor) have been suggested. Traditionally, Tarshish is identified with Spain—with the region and city of Tartessus, a Phoenician settlement of S Spain. Scholars suggest that the biblical 2 Counselor of Ahasuerus in the Book of Esther. 3 Benjamite in First Chronicles.
ships of Tarshishheld cargo for metal-manufacturing centers on the Mediterranean coast.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biblical Proper Names: Biographies
Browse By Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-