Baranovichi bərŭn´ôvyēchē [key], Belarusian Baranavichy, Pol. Baranowicze bäränôvē´chĕ [key], city (1989 pop. 159,315), in W Belarus. It is a major railway junction and has industries that manufacture machinery, metalware, and textiles. Founded as a railway station in 1870, Baranovichi passed from the Soviet Union to Poland in 1920. In 1939, Baranovichi again was incorporated into the USSR as a consequence of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. A state university is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: CIS and Baltic Political Geography