Gustavo A. Madero
Gustavo A. Madero go͞ostä´vō ä mädā´rō [key], city (1990 pop. 1,268,068), Federal District, S central Mexico. Formerly called Guadalupe Hidalgo, it was renamed in 1931. It is the site of the Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine and is a major Roman Catholic pilgrimage center. The treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (1848), which ended the Mexican War, was signed there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Mexican Political Geography