Edmundston ĕd´mənstən [key], city (1991 pop. 10,835), NW N.B., Canada, at the confluence of the St. John and Madawaska rivers, at the U.S. border. It has a large pulp mill and is a railroad center and hunting and fishing base. Settled c.1785 by Acadians, it was known as Petit Sault to the French and Little Falls to the English before being named in 1850 for Sir Edmund Head, later governor-general of Canada.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Canadian Political Geography