Fort Beauséjour bōsāzho͞or´ [key], N.B., Canada, near Amherst, N.S. Built by the French between 1751 and 1755 to command Chignecto isthmus between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, it was captured (1755) by British and American troops under General Monckton and was renamed Fort Cumberland. It is now Fort Beauséjour–Fort Cumberland National Historic Site.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Canadian Political Geography