Leuna loi´nä [key], city (1994 pop. 8,130), Saxony-Anhalt, S central Germany. There, in 1916, the first synthetic nitrogen plant began to operate after the invention of the Haber process. The city was badly damaged in World War II, the target being the extensive chemical installations. Nevertheless, the city grew as a center of the German synthetic chemical industry, and it is today the seat of one of the largest chemical works in Germany.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: German Political Geography