Słupsk slo͞opsk [key], Ger. Stolp, city (1993 est. pop. 102,800), Pomorskie prov., NW Poland. It is a rail junction and commercial center with industries manufacturing furniture, footwear, agricultural machinery, and leather goods. Nearby are lignite mines. Chartered in 1310, Słupsk passed in 1648 from Poland to Brandenburg (after 1701 known as Prussia). It reverted to Poland in 1945. Landmarks include a 16th-century castle and 14th-century town gates.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Polish Political Geography