Pori pô´rē [key], Swed. Björneborg, city (1998 pop. 76,375), Western Finland prov., SW Finland, near the mouth of the Kokemaënjoki River. Timber and metals are exported, and chemical and wood products are manufactured. A deepwater harbor complex was opened in 1985 for the importation of oil and coal, but due to silting the city has become farther from the harbor waters. Pori was chartered in 1564 and was initially dominated by the Hanseatic League. By 1840 the city had the largest commercial fleet in Finland.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Scandinavian Political Geography