Pejë, Pejapā´ä [key], or Pećpĕch [key], town (2011 pop. 95,723), W Kosovo. A trade center, it has industries that produce leather goods, foodstuffs, and handicrafts. Stephen Dušan in 1346 made the town the seat of the Orthodox patriarchs of Serbia, who resided there until 1766. It is noted for its 13th-century patriarchal cathedral and several Turkish mosques and houses.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2023, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Former Yugoslavian Political Geography