Giralda hēräl´dä [key], the famous tower adjoining the Cathedral of Seville, Spain. It was built (1163–84) to serve as minaret to the main mosque of Seville, on the site of which the cathedral now stands. In 1568 it was converted into a bell tower by the addition of an ornate Renaissance superstructure on the simple square Moorish tower. The original square minaret, with an interior ramp, is 197 ft (60 m) high; the superstructure adds 123 ft (37 m).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Spanish and Portuguese Physical Geography