After its suppression (1792) in the French Revolution, the Univ. of France took over (1808) the Sorbonne grounds, so that for the years between 1808 and 1885 the Sorbonne existed as the seat of the three faculties of theology and of the Académie de Paris. In 1885 a general council of faculties, presided over by the rector of the university, was created. The Sorbonne grounds now house facilities of several of the universities the Univ. of Paris was divided into in 1970 as well as facilities of the rectorate for those universities and of other educational institutions. Sorbonne has frequently been used as a name for the Univ. of Paris.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, International