Themes of the Olympic Torch Relay
Updated February 21, 2017 | Factmonster Staff
by Mark Hughes
Each Olympic torch relay has had a theme to share with the world. Notable themes have been:
- 1948, London Olympics: The relay of peace
- 1960, Rome Olympics: The ancient relay
- 1968, Mexico City Olympics: The relay of the New World
- 1988, Seoul Olympics: The oriental relays
- 2000, Sydney Olympics: The "Down Under" relay
- 2008, Beijing Olympics: The journey of harmony
- Symbolism of Fire
- Fire has had a very significant role in humanity's development.
- History: Relay, Summer Games
- The modern use of the Olympic Flame began in 1936.
- Criticisms and Protests
- In 2008, protests by human rights groups disrupted the Olympic torch progression to Beijing.
- History: Relay, Winter Games
- Since 1964, the Winter Games have also had a torch relay starting in Olympia.
More from 2008 Summer Olympics